Breastfeeding Information Session Online FREE
Westmead Women’s and Newborn Health offer free breastfeeding information sessions which you are invited to attend. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this education session is run via live online webinar. You can attend from the comfort of your own home.
YOU MUST BE BIRTHING YOUR BABY AT EITHER WESTMEAD, BLACKTOWN OR AUBURN HOSPITALS TO BOOK INTO THIS PROGRAM
These sessions run for one hour twice per month on a Tuesday or a Thursday from 10:00am -11:00AM.
You may be about to become a mother for the first time or you may have had previous difficulties breastfeeding. The breastfeeding information sessions aim to answer all of your questions and explain any myths that you may have heard regarding breastfeeding your baby.
What is covered in the information session?
- Why breastfeeding is important and the risks of not breastfeeding
- How your breasts make milk- supply and demand
- Skin to skin contact and the first feed
- Feeding cues and when to feed baby
- Positioning and attachment of baby at the breast
- Rooming in- staying close to baby
- Normal newborn behavior
- Signs baby is feeding well
- Normal weight changes for baby and breast changes for mum
- Community supports
- Returning to work- expressing breast milk
- Impact of dummies and bottle feeding on breastfeeding
- Common breastfeeding problems
Please feel free to bring your partner or support person with you- there is no need for them to have a 'Free Ticket", you just need to get one for yourself.